Monday, 10 April 2017

REVIEW - Murder on the Pilgrims Way by Julie Wassmer


Title: Murder on the Pilgrims Way

Author: Julie Wassmer

Publisher:  Constable

Release Date: 6th April 2017

Source: Publisher Advance Copy
Pearl receives a surprise present from her mother, Dolly - an early summer break at a riverside manor house that has been recently transformed into an exclusive hotel - the newly named Villa Pellegrini.

Pellegrini - the Italian word for pilgrims - reflects the fact that the building lies on the old Pilgrims Way into Canterbury, and Pearl is looking forward to the break, not least because DCI Mike McGuire has been neglecting her due to his work. But when she discovers that she's actually booked in for a cookery course from the Italian celebrity chef, Nico Caruso, she begins to think again . . .

Pearl doesn't welcome instruction on cookery at the best of times, and certainly not from an arrogant chef like Caruso. She goes along, intent on challenging Caruso's egotism - and a long tradition of men dominating gastronomy - but soon finds herself distracted, not only by her enchanting surroundings but by the disparate selection of guests.

She even begins to enjoy Caruso's attentions - and his cookery - until one of the guests goes missing and it becomes clear that murder is on the menu.

I really enjoy the Whitstable Pearl mystery series, with each new book I look forward to first of all visiting the beautiful Kent countryside and the town of Whitstable which I visited many years ago and loved.  Secondly I also love being thrown in to the lives of Pearl, her family, friends and her food!

Murder on the Pilgrims Way is, I think, my favourite so far in the series, set in the idyllic countryside at a beautiful country retreat.  Pearl and her mother Dolly have left Whitstable behind, Dolly is treating her daughter to cookery course at Villa Pellegrini and the course is taught by charming celebrity chef Nico Caruso.

The house is beautiful but in true murder mystery style Pearl and Dolly's fellow guests are hiding secrets.  What starts of as an idyllic break with fine food, delicious wine and charming company ends with the grisly discovery of a body, instinctively private detective Pearl starts delving in to the lives of her companions.  Who is the murderer in their midst?

Full of English country charm, delightful characters and a hint of romance this is a great read which I would recommend to lovers of cosy mysteries and Agatha Christie.

Thank you to Constable for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.






Don't miss a post!! Enter your email address for my posts straight to your inbox!:

Share:

4 comments

  1. Love the whole English country murder mystery thing, this one sounds fun. Haven't read one of those in a while. And welcome back BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like the perfect book for me! The series and the author are both new to me but I'm adding them to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it and will make the time to come and visit your blog, maybe not today but soon as I am always behind!

Sorry due to lots of Spam I am moderating all comments - no spammers I don't want to buy whatever it is you are selling!

© Random Redheaded Ramblings | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig